熱門文章

網頁

熱門文章

熱門文章

2011年4月15日 星期五

You Can – Why Can’t I?

Shannon Lucid, the first Asian-born astronaut in space, once said, “Basically, all my life I'd been told you can't do that because you're female. So I guess I just didn't pay any attention. I just went ahead and did what I could and then, when the stars aligned, I was ready. I think that over the years, whether they want to admit it or not, people have to admit that the women astronauts have performed just as well as the men astronauts. “This is, preferably, one of the strongest proof that woman, indeed, can perform just as well as men astronauts! People think, “As the majority of astronauts are men, and woman are more picky and not as strong, I can’t believe how they can become astronauts!” That, in fact, is a sign of the unknowing.
To be an astronaut, a person must have interest in astronomy, physics and mathematics; is dedicated to years of hard work and training; and to cooperate well with other crew members. Woman can be in all these categories. Though being physically fit is part of the requirements, why can’t woman be so too? Being fit, in people’s minds, means strong, tough, muscularly and manly person. That, is actually false. In the crew members’ minds, being fit, means that a person has no sickness, can withstand objects that weigh up to 48 kilograms and be able to sleep for less than six hours a day. A woman, can fulfill all these. However, people often misjudge woman by their cover – they think that they are the worst choices for astronauts, since they are not as strong as men.
Valentina Tereshkova was the first woman to reach orbit; Mae Jemison was the first African-American woman to venture into space; Shannon Lucid was the first American-Asian woman to walk in space. Why can’t my name be on the name: Jessamyn Chiu was the first person to walk on Mars. Is this not possible? People have sent space modules onto Mars, and they have got photos and sent them back to Earth. We have evidence that Mars has an atmosphere; although it’s ozone layer is not as thick as Earth’s. This implies that an astronaut, with all the modern technology, must be able to land on Mars. Thus, since women are equal as men, landing on Mars is possible. If it is, then why can’t it be me?
Mars has long been the object of numerous stories and novels. It is implied that it has red earth and green aliens, in the stories. Though probes have not sent back photos of them, this does not prove that they does not exist. They could have been hiding, or living under the ground. Therefore, if I can land on the moon and really see with my own eyes and prove with the camera, bring back samples of the earth, why aren’t green aliens living on the moon impossible?
Surely, for me and for other girls having a passion for star-gazing and the secrets of the universe, stepping on the soil of Mars, gazing into the fiery sun... It is possible!

沒有留言:

張貼留言